The Asticou Inn
Northeast Harbor, Maine
Welcome to the Asticou Inn Virtual Tour! The Asticou Inn is located just outside of Acadia National Park in Maine, USA. Situated on Mount Desert Island in the town of Northeast Harbor, the Inn was originally built in 1883. It burned down in 1899 and the current building dates from 1901. The current Inn building survived the great fire of 1947 that burned most of the historic hotels and homes in the area. The Asticou Inn is open Spring through Fall yearly.
If you're looking for a hotel that still retains all of it's original charm, the Asticou fits the bill. Additions in the early 1900's changed the exterior slightly and added rooms to the Inn. However the Inn's exterior has changed little in the last 60 years. Interior remodeling has enlarged many of the rooms, primarily by removing walls to combine adjacent rooms rather than relocating walls. Careful remodeling and restoration have allowed the Inn to retain it's historic charm, with polished wood floors and the craftsmanship of a bygone era.
Much more detail on the history, architecture, and folklore related to the Asticou Inn will be presented on various pages throughout the virtual tour that follows. We will even explore some behind the scenes items not normally seen by the public. In addition to the virtual tour of the Asticou Inn we have assembled some helpful information for you if you plan to visit, or wish to do more research (see links in the Table of Contents below).
The virtual tour features lots of photos of the Asticou Inn. The images have been optimized for the fastest possible download while maintaining quality. They display best if you maximize your browser to full screen size. If you want to preview the tour, see the photo index thumbnails below. Click on a thumbnail to jump to that photo in the tour. Some photos have guests in them, so some faces are blurred to protect their privacy. We hope you enjoy your virtual tour of the Asticou Inn!
Click here to continue the free virtual tour.
- Mount Desert Island is a major recreation area with lots of activities. Hiking, carriage rides, shopping, boating, and the visitor centers and trails of Acadia National Park. There are two large public gardens near the Inn.
- The Asticou Inn operates seasonally and is closed in winter.
- Limited scheduled commercial flights are available 12 miles away at the Hancock County/Bar Harbor Airport. The nearest major commercial airport is the Bangor International Airport 51 miles away in Bangor, Maine.
- For driving instructions and a map, see Google maps.
Hotel Contact Information:
- For reservations, room rates, and check-in times see the Asticou Inn website at http://www.asticou.com/. Be sure to check for club discounts, package deals, and specials. The Asticou Inn allows you to select the exact room you want when making a reservation. There is a description of each room on their website, along with a floorplan showing where each is located. We strongly suggest you look at it before reserving a room.
- Asticou Inn, P.O. Box 337, Northeast Harbor, ME 04662
- Phone (800) 258-3373 or (207) 276-3344
The Asticou Inn
Virtual Tour Table of Contents
Bibliography, References and Resources for the Asticou Inn. Additional sources on-line and in print for further study or research on the Asticou Inn.
Virtual Tour. Continue on the Virtual Tour of the Asticou Inn.
Want to look at more photos of the Asticou Inn? See our tour out-takes. click here.
Visit the Asticou Inn homepage here: Asticou Inn
Historic Hotels & Lodges